Level 4, Intermediate, Post 3, 'Themed Free Post' (My favorite song)
Hi! In this occasion I would
like to talk to you about one of my favorite songs. This
is “No surprises” by the English band, Radiohead. I will tell you why.
Let’s start from the
beginning. Radiohead is one of the iconic bands from the 90’s, the song in
question in on their third álbum, Ok computer, from 1997.

The song talk about
alienation in the city, how the whole system has reduced us to ‘A heart that's full up like a landfill’.
Not only in economic terms, but also life itself has been reduced –‘a handshake
of carbon monoxide’-. Hence seek and wish for a moment of peace and silence, ‘with no alarms and no surprises’ say the
chorus.
Well, all good so far… it
is not a new theme in his songs, but this one sounds different. The others songs
sound loud and heavy; like they are angry. Here is different, here it sound sad
and slow, and that is precisely what I like.
In this sense, it is the
musical form that says the content of the song, the lyrics. There is a harmony between
both parties. I mean the chords used, the instruments, the rhythm, etc. For example, chords do not generate tensión as usual.
Harmonic progression is particular.
The instruments also collaborate.
To the two guitars, one that does the main riff and the other that accompanies
an acoustic one, a metalphone is added that makes a melody sharper that gets
confused with the lead guitar. All this creates an atmosphere of torpor… let’s
not forget that the song says ‘You look so
tired, unhappy’.
The other part that also
matters and that is related to this is the video. In it, Thom Yorke, appears
singing with a bubble on his head, which is filling with water. At one point in
the song, the bubble fills up and stays that way for almost a minute. When the
song is resolved, it breathes again, as if it came to life and sings ‘Such a pretty house / And such a pretty
garden’, implying that the essential thing is to breathe and pretty house
in silence.

I share the video of the
song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5CVsCnxyXg
PD: I also share a link
with a “making off” of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzqOeD7FV2s
See you!
Comentarios
Publicar un comentario